Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I hope my kids never do this....

As a response to one of my younger second-cousin's facebook video posts, one of her friends posted "FAGGOT" referring to the boy in the video, I guess.  I don't understand how this term is still an acceptable form of expression.  It seems like this type of verbal hatred was generally understood as cruel these days.  I'm not going to deny that I used to use the term "gay" to describe something that was lame when I was younger.  However, I have since realized that use of the word is offensive and "faggot" seems to take it to a whole new level.  Maybe I should cut the girl some slack, I mean I made the same mistake as her.  But, I hope to impress on my children the unacceptability of this form of hatred (or any type for that matter).

BTW, I resisted the urge to post my feelings too.  Should I have?....

1 comment:

  1. resist the urge :) and i agree - she either a)doesn't get it b)has no sense of class/appropriateness c)never had that "don't type stupid things" discussion or d)all of the above

    ReplyDelete